Drained

Wow. All I can say is wow. As I said, I came home Tues night to sleep. Madi had spent that night at my friend Amy's house. I stopped to Madi in the morning on my way to the hospital. Probably a bad call. She seemed well at first although Amy had said she was a little weepy earlier. Then it turned into getting on the bus at home. Then the "stomach ache". Then I'm sad. All of this time she is getting more and more upset, crying and distraught. She misses her dad. There's not much more to it. I couldn't send her to school. So she and dad played hooky together. What a relief for me. I was being pulled in two. She was where she needed to be and that took away one layer of stress. From what I understand she had a good day with bouts of sadness. I know she fell asleep peacefully. One duck in a row.

Next:
Off to the hospital I go, after a small error with following directions....and after getting initial consults, Chip was transferred to a department within the ER. It was sort of long-term ER -/ ICU place - very nice. He had a room to himself,the pain is being addressed, tests are being run and he's able to sleep. Yay!!

Finally in this new area he's getting very good attention (though when the ER figured out what was going in they were MUCH better also). The Lead Nurse came in and spent a long time talking to us and making sure she understood the whole situation because she was getting bits and pieces from all the different groups involved. She said she was putting herself in as his "primary care" person, the central point. First thing on the list - find a way to get him comfortable. It wasn't perfect but it's the best I've seen him. Next to get a plan together. Someone gets it. Yes!

Neurology had been back through but still nothing definitive. Actually nothing but more assessments. He finally had his hand X-ray'd which is now a lovely shade of green down his forearm and has little mobility. Guess what? DKH didn't do that either.

We talked with the Lead Nurse about the initial issue - his face. She said that it often doesn't require surgery (which the ENT also said). The ENT wanted a facial CT scan done so he can actually see what's broken and then decide. Everyone I've spoken to seems to think it doesn't warrant surgery and is okay to let it be while we look at the other stuff. Here's a tip I learned: never ever ask orthopedics about a broken facial bone - oh no Ortho doesn't DO faces. Soooooreeeee. Ha!

He really doesn't love the neck collar much at all but he has no choice but to wear it so he's sort of stuck. I hope once they have figured out what's going on and have him stabilized it can come off so he can get comfortable even more. We'll see. If its keeping him from breaking his neck then wear it!

I stayed with him until around 9:30 and came home to get some much needed sleep. I was assured he would not be moved from where he is so I felt okay to leave him. Yes. My other duck lined up in a row.

I didn't get any texts or calls last night. I hope that means he got a good nights sleep!! Off to go visit for another day. Madi is with mom so all is well on that front.

Hopefully I will have some I formation later. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping when the texts ended around 8 that it meant things were stabilizing. Today should be an informative day with test results pouring in.
    Such a relief when you finally get them to the place they need to be with good medical staff. Half the battle shouldn't be convincing them they need to be there. But once you get in the door, phew!
    Hoping they tell you that all this is a temporary reaction to a blow from the accident and it will recede as quick as it came on.
    The blog is helpful cause you can keep everyone in the loop which helps all of us too.
    Glad you got some rest and good luck today.

    ReplyDelete